Dark Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
Hello friends! This past weekend, I baked an amazing “healthy” Dark Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread, aka oil and butter-free! Now it definitely contains sugar, but if you are looking to begin making healthier substitutions with your baking, this loaf is for you!
I feel like when it comes to baking or fall sweets in general, people either gravitate towards pumpkin or apple. And while I love both, and will be creating my fair share of apple-inspired desserts in the next few months, pumpkin just makes my heart happy.
Next time you are craving a sweet treat that can double as breakfast or dessert, try baking this Dark Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread!
You will need:
2 mixing bowls
1 large bread pan (I used Pyrex, because I prefer how glass cooks)
1 ¾ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup canned pumpkin (not pie filling)
½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 cup light brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
- Spray bread pan with cooking spray and pre-heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine all dry ingredients in one of your mixing bowls. If you do not have pumpkin pie spice, it can be substituted with all-spice or nutmeg.
- Crack 2 eggs into your second mixing bowl and whisk.
- Add vanilla, pumpkin, and apple sauce to whisked eggs.
5. Add white and brown sugar to liquid mixture.
6. Once all liquids are combined, slowly incorporate dry ingredients to form a thick batter!
7. At this point, any mix-ins can be thrown in to make this bread unique! On this occasion, I used a combination of dark chocolate chunks and semi-sweet chocolate chips, mostly because they were both close to being gone! Other mix-ins could include raisins, white chocolate chips, walnuts, etc. Get creative and let me know how your pumpkin bread tastes!
8. Pour batter into your sprayed bread pan and place in oven at 375 degrees.
Cooking time: Approximately 50-60 minutes, but I check on the bread every 5 or so minutes after 45 minutes, as ovens vary!
Servings: Approximately 12, although if you are like my fiancé, it ends up being more like 8…
I love this Dark Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread and love the fact that it does not contain any butter or oil. The apple sauce keeps it perfectly moist, without being dense or gooey!
Let me know if you try this pumpkin bread, and what you end up throwing in as “extras!”